Recommendations for Grandview Extra and Co-Curricular Activities:
Fall Season 2020
We believe in the great value of Extra- and Co-Curricular Activity Programs and that our students can continue to participate and compete during this era of COVID-19. We believe that with the cooperation, sacrifice, teamwork, and transparency from our coaches/sponsors, students, and parents we can continue the tradition of excellence of the Grandview C-4 School District’s Activity Programs with these procedures and protocols. It will take each individual’s commitment to follow these practices at school, at practice, at games, and during their free time away from school/practice/games/events in order to keep everyone healthy and involved.
- We will consult and follow the the guidelines set by the Jackson County and/or the State of Missouri Health Departments regarding the current restrictions/allowances relative to allowable group size and social distancing.
- Coaches and sponsors will utilize groups that practice/rehearse together in smaller numbers to avoid the potential of large numbers of participants or coaches/directors having to quarantine if anyone tests positive for COVID-19.
- A record should be kept of all individuals present.
- Students and families are responsible for screening for COVID symptoms at home on a daily basis. Any student that has any of the symptoms listed below should not attend school or any activity, practice, rehearsal, or competition.
- Activities Director, trainer and coaches will be responsible for ensuring screening is implemented and any positive screen or test must meet the protocols for return to participation.
- Before practices/rehearsals, coaches will continue to track body temperatures (100.4 or greater) and symptoms of coaches, directors, staff, players, participants, etc.
- Every coach/director and participant is required to wear a mask or face covering until screening is completed, showing no signs or symptoms.
- If a student, coach/director, or official/adjudicator has a positive finding on their COVID-19 screen, he/she should be sent home immediately. If the student’s parents are not present, we will escort the student to a designated isolation room or an area away from others. He/she must wear a mask or face covering. The participant/coach/director is to be referred to a health care provider or a local COVID screening hotline.
- Written clearance by a healthcare provider, documentation of a negative test outcome or after a 10 day quarantine period (quarantine period starts from first positive screen) MSHSAA Covid Return to Play formshall be required prior to return to participation.
- Fever (temperature greater than 100.4)
- cough (new or worsening)
- shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- sore throat (different from seasonal allergies)
- new loss of smell or taste
- vomiting or diarrhea
Activities Director, trainer and principals will be responsible for ensuring any positive test must meet the protocols for return to participation.
Procedures when a student/coach/director tests positive for COVID-19:
- The student/coach/director will begin 10-day quarantine and should stay home, stay separated from others, follow state or local health department guidance, and should NOT participate in practices/rehearsals.
- The student/coach/director will complete the Return to Play Form at this link: MSHSAA Return to Play Form in order to return to practice/competition/rehearsal.
- The coach, athletic trainer, and/or A.D. will create a list of all close contacts.
- Close contact is defined by the CDC as a person who has had close contact (less than 6 feet) for greater than 15 minutes with an individual with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 infection during the 48 hours before the individual became symptomatic or was diagnosed.
- All participants who had significant exposure, meaning close contact with the COVID positive individual without wearing masks, or a direct exposure to secretions (i.e. being coughed on), up to 48 hours before the COVID positive individual started showing symptoms should be excluded from practice and play for 14 days. Exceptions may be considered if all activities were done practicing appropriate social distancing while wearing a mask.
- The coach and/or A.D. will contact parents of the students who had significant exposure.
- Teams/Groups should keep documentation of names and contact information of opposing teams/groups, coaches/directors, and officials/adjudicators for contact tracing purposes.
- If a coach/director or participant is positive and was wearing a mask or face covering, it is possible that none of their contacts will have to be excluded from participation.
- Coaches/Directors and staff who were in contact with the infected individual while properly wearing a mask may not need to be excluded from participation.
Procedures when a participant/coach/director has been exposed to a confirmed positive case of Covid-19
- Individuals who have had significant exposure to a confirmed positive COVID-19 individual must quarantine for 14 days from the last date of exposure to the positive COVID-19 individual.
- If the significantly exposed individual has a negative COVID test then they still must quarantine for 14 days. If the significantly exposed individual develops symptoms during the 14-day quarantine period, testing for COVID should occur.
- If the COVID-19 test is positive, then the participant/coach/director must follow the guidance for a confirmed positive individual.
- Please see this link for the MSHSAA Return to Play Flowchart
Physical Activity and Athletic/Activities Equipment
- There should be no shared athletic towels, clothing or shoes between participants.
- Participants should wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share clothing), and individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful at all contests and practices/rehearsals.
- Athletic equipment such as bats, batting helmets and catchers gear should be cleaned between each practice or game. Other equipment, such as football helmets/other pads, lacrosse helmets/pads/gloves/eyewear, field hockey helmets/pads/gloves/eyewear, should be worn by only one individual and not shared.
- Masks or face coverings are REQUIRED for participants, coaches/directors and officials/adjudicators any time they are not doing strenuous physical activity. Wearing masks before activities and immediately following activities is REQUIRED, especially prior to screening.
- Maximum lifts should be limited and power cages should be used for squats and bench presses. Spotters should stand at each end of the bar with the use of a mask.
- All students will be required to bring and fill their own water containers/bottles. Water containers/bottles must not be shared.
- Refill stations will be “no touch” – water fountains in both HS buildings and water lines outside will be available for students to use without students needing to touch them.
Transportation to Events
- Seating on buses will be limited to one student per seat. Masks will be required to be worn on the bus at all times.
- A.D.s and coaches will work together to minimize the number of students required to travel on buses to competitions. There will be a 3 bus limit for each activity group per event.
- Parents will have the option and be encouraged to transport their student to competitions to reduce the number riding on buses. The Grandview Alternative Transportation Request Form will be required for parents to transport their own child to/from events held at other school’s facilities. The form can be signed once for all events during the entire season. It can be found at the bottom of this page called "Parent Transportation Form"
- Carpooling will not be allowed in order to reduce contact – parents will transport their own children.
- A.D.s and coaches will develop a schedule for the daily use of locker rooms by small groups of students in intervals so that social distancing can be practiced.
- Masks MUST be worn while in the locker rooms.
- Designated waiting areas will be assigned for students to use while other groups are using the locker rooms.
- Students will not change clothes in their vehicles.
- Competition/Game day usage of locker rooms will not be provided for visiting teams, nor will Grandview teams use locker rooms when we are on the road.